10 Common Roof Problems
It’s possible that your roof needs to be inspected by a professional if you’re a homeowner. Roofs can become damaged or deteriorated. We will examine the most common roof problems in this article:
- Poor Maintenance: Ideally, it is a good idea to schedule an annual inspection for your roof. A professional inspection should be scheduled after severe storms. There are many things that can go wrong with your roof over time and you should be vigilant about maintaining it. A roof that isn’t maintained properly can be identified by signs such as mildew, sagging, or large holes.
- Improper Repairs: This is the most serious offense because the homeowner hired someone to do the job. There is nothing you can do about it, except to ensure that the contractor you hire is trustworthy. Many contractors who are not trustworthy will bid for jobs and then cut corners to get paid. It will take a while before people find out what they did.
- Ventilation: Roof and attic ventilation are essential to making roofs last. Vents should be placed near the roof’s base (at the eaves, in the soffits, or at the ridge), so warm air can flow through the top and cool air can flow through the bottom. This air movement is not created by any mechanical means, as warm air naturally rises. Proper ventilation regulates the temperature and humidity levels in your attic. If heat and moisture are not controlled, they can cause damage to insulation, sheathing, and shingles.
- Storm Related Damage: Storms can occur in any season, whether it’s spring, winter, summer, or fall. Major roofing damage can be caused by hail, rain, strong winds, lightning, or broken branches. You should inspect your roof for potential damage after any weather-related events. You have a small window of time to file an insurance claim and you don’t want to be responsible for the damages.
- Roof Leaks: No matter the type of roof, a leak can lead to serious problems. Your roof is supposed to be like a lid for a container. This lid serves the purpose of keeping everything inside dry. You can only do your best to fix a leaky lid as soon as possible to prevent further damage. Leakages can happen for many reasons. The key is to detect them early and carry out repairs.
- Moisture: While moisture can be a problem if there isn’t a leak, it is sometimes a problem. However, moisture buildup can cause problems if it is allowed to fester for too long. Mold and mildew will develop from moisture, which can lead to rot. It can also cause structural damage to your house by getting into walls.
- Faulty or Poor Installation: Many roofing contractors are just looking to make quick cash. Even worse, someone may be unqualified to do this type of work. Although it can take many years to find a problem, once it starts to cause problems it is usually too late to fix it. You will likely need to replace the entire roof.
- Trees: Overhanging tree branches can rub on roofs, causing damage to the shingles’ surface and removing the protective top layer. Tree branches can also fall onto the roof, causing more severe damage. Tree limbs should always be removed from the roof. If a tree is too close to your home to be dangerous, it should also be removed.
- Improperly Installed Flashing: Flashing seals areas where roof penetration has occurred (such as vent pipes, skylights, chimneys, heating and cooling systems, and skylights). Badly attached flashing can lead to open seams, laps, and eventually tiles falling off. Poorly installed flashing can also reduce puncture resistance on your roof.
- Critters: Small animals, birds, and insects can do a lot of damage. It is best to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Reputable companies are the best way to avoid roofing problems. Check their ratings with the Better Business Bureau to ensure they are insured and licensed. Ask for references if possible so that you can speak with someone who has used the roofing company previously.
If possible, hire someone who has worked with a friend or neighbor. You are more likely to have a problem if they are highly recommended. You should still verify that they are insured, licensed, and current with the BBB.
These top indicators of common roof problems should be identified before they cause major structural problems. You can prevent major roofing repairs by paying attention to these common problems. Call the professionals at Reggie Reed Roofing for a free roof inspection.